On today’s episode of the Diverse Minds Podcast, as part of my trilogy for Self-Care September, I talk about assertiveness and setting boundaries. I outline how assertiveness can help you on your self-care journey, in terms of your mental, physical and social well-being,
I decided to make an episode on this topic as setting boundaries often stops us from looking after ourselves.
Listen to the podcast
In today’s show, I talk about:
- How some cultures encourage us to put other people’s needs first rather than our own. [01:13]
- What being assertive really means. [02:12]
- Seven ways to be assertive that can help you with your self-care journey. [03:02]
- About my online course, The Mentally Healthy Professional, and how it can help you with assertiveness and your self-care journey. [12:45]
Resources for Assertivness and Self-Care
- Action for Happiness: Self-care September Calendar
- Podcast: Movement and Self-care September
- Podcast: Resilience and Mental Health
- Download: Assertiveness Handout
- It is difficult to make time for ourselves when we’re so stretched.
- Assertiveness is a way of communicating that expresses your needs, opinions and emotions, while also respecting others rights and needs too.
- It’s crucial to say that even if we are assertive in a situation, we may not always get what we want. However, we are less likely to walk away feeling frustrated, as we’ve communicated in the best way possible.
- The environments we work in can make it more challenging to be assertive.
- Empathetic Assertion is all about understanding the other person’s feelings and vocalising that.
Take the course
Sign-Up to The Mentally Healthy Leading Manager
Work with me
Check out my Shape Your New Routine Checklist to enable you to create a routine that works for you. You can download it here: https://bit.ly/DMSYNR
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.