Welcome to the 166th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month’s theme is all about nutrition, food and mental health. So, on today’s episode, I am going to be kicking off by talking about the connection between nutrition and mental health.
Listen to the episode
On today’s show on the connection between nutrition and mental health
- The definition of nutrition, diet and balanced diet. [02:00]
- One research study that connects diet and nutrition affect mental wellbeing. [03:15]
- Why nutrition isn’t simply about individual choices, [07:35]
- A clinical trial that proved how diet can have a significant benefit to depressive illness. [08:58]
- How to consider nutrition as part of our daily wellbeing plan. [13:10]
Quotes on the connection between nutrition and mental health
- Nutrition is the nutrients and nourishment we obtain from food and drink.
- Poor nutrition may be a causal factor in the experience of low mood.
- if we can’t afford food and to nourish ourselves in any way, this is going to have a hugely detrimental impact on mental wellbeing.
- Nutrition shouldn’t just be about individual choices, it’s about the system as a whole and enabling people to make positive choices.
- We know what we eat impacts our physical health, especially when it comes to diabetes and cancer.
Resources on the connection between nutrition and mental health
- Leave me an anonymous message on my SpeakPipe
- BMJ Article: Food and mood: how do diet and nutrition affect mental wellbeing?
- Mental Health Foundation: Food for thought: Mental health and nutrition briefing
- BBC Article: How diet can affect your wellbeing
- How are gut brain and mental health are linked?
- Listen to Episode #20 Body Positivity and How to be an Ally
- Check out Episode #26 Eating Disorders Awareness Week with Hope Virgo
Work with me
Check out my course: The Mentally Healthy Professional
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
Join my mailing list here: https://bit.ly/DMMCHSU
One-hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.