Welcome to the 223rd episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. It’s Disability History Month, a time to celebrate, understand and make environments accessible. So, on this week’s episode I speak to Toby Mildon about Diversity and Inclusion Architecture.
Listen to the episode
About my guest
Toby Mildon is a Diversity and inclusion Architect who is passionate about creating diverse workplaces and cultures that are inclusive. He has helped some of the UK’s largest companies, including the BBC, Deloitte, Sony, and HarperCollins Publishing, improve staff retention, brand innovation, productivity, and performance.
Toby’s lifelong passion for Diversity and Inclusion stems from his personal and professional experiences with inequality, and his belief that building a culture of inclusive growth is essential for organisational success.
He speaks passionately about how moving beyond superficial diversity initiatives and building a culture of inclusive growth is essential. It addresses the underlying issues of inequality and creates a sustainable framework for continued growth and success.
Toby’s book, Inclusive Growth: Future-proof your Business by creating a Diverse Workplace, provides a practical framework that enables you to deliver a sustainable, diverse and inclusive workplace that allows your organisation to grow.
The book helps you understand how to strategically align diversity and inclusion to organisational growth, change the culture and motivate senior leaders to ‘walk the talk’ for inclusivity, design and implement a sustainable inclusivity infrastructure, work as a whole organisation rather than in HR isolation, and celebrate your inclusivity to become an employer of choice in your industry.
In today’s show on Diversity and Inclusion Architecture
- About Toby and what he’s working on at the moment. [02:23]
- How he became a diversity and inclusion architect. [03:40]
- What the term disability inclusion means to him. [06:09]
- The biggest challenges for disabled people when it comes to accessing support. [10:06]
- His top 3 mental health tips. [18:25]
Quotes on Diversity and Inclusion Architecture
- Disability inclusion is about including disabled people.
- It’s surprising how many organisations neglect to include disability when they talk about diversity.
- There’s been an increase in awareness and conversation about invisible disability.
- The current government don’t have a good track record when it comes to supporting disabled people. They have it in for the woke agenda, leaving people reluctant in coming forward.
- I believe that corporations can learn from entrepreneurs.
Resources to support Diversity and Inclusion Architecture
- Follow Toby on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Visit his website
- Episode #218: Workplace Behaviour Journeys
- Join my Mailing List and receive my free e-book here
- Check out my TEDx talk: The Connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.