|Welcome to the 113th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. In today’s episode, I talk about ensuring aBlack History Month 365 approach. Especially important, as we draw towards the end of this important month.|
Listen to the episode
In today’s show about a Black History Month 365 Approach
- What a BHM 365 approach is all about. [00:54]
- Why you should care about about this concept. [01:17]
- Some ways I’ve seen some organisations wrongly approach the month. [02:00]
- What organisations can do to integrate Black history into the day-to-day. [03:05]
- Some ideas for organisations celebrating Black History Month for the first time. [09:06]
Quotes on a Black History Month 365 Approach
- This approach is about a conscious shift to truly understand Black contributions, excellence and legacies in society today.
- If you want to change the usual way of doing things and set yourself ahead of the pack, you don’t want to appear tokenistic.
- Black History Month is vital, and one month, much like South Asian History Month, is not enough to recognise the ongoing inequalities, inequity, history and truths.
- There’s old fashioned language and there’s hate speech.
- Tokenism isn’t helpful, and although it may be done with the right intention, the impact can be harmful.
Resources to support a Black History Month 365 Approach
- Black History Cymru/Wales
- Islington Council Celebrating Black history and culture 365 days a year
- Celebrating Black History 365
- Black History Haringey 365
- Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
- Episode #9: How to organise meaningful Black History Month Events at work
- The Teacherist Black History Month. Really?
Work with me
If you enjoyed the content why not subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/MHLMEBKLNK
My coaching solutions can be accessed here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.