Welcome to the 120th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. So, it’s still Disability History Month and in today’s episode, I talk about how to support staff who may need reasonable or workplace adjustments to help them thrive at work. Of course, most importantly how to have productive conversations about adjustments required at work.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show on Workplace Adjustments
- Why I decided to make make an episode on this topic. [00:46]
- The definition of disability according to the UK’s Equality Act 2010. [02:28]
- Some examples of conditions that are considered a disability under the EA 2010. [02:42]
- What workplaces can do to support disabled staff. [10:55]
- How workplace adjustments can enable and empower people to do their job. [13:51]
Quotes on Workplace Adjustments
- The social model of disability states that disability is caused by the way society is organised, rather than by a person’s impairment or difference in ability.
- In some cases, a person may only become aware that they have a disability after experiencing difficulties with certain tasks or activities.
- Employers have a legal obligation to support disabled staff, in particular acting in an anticipatory way and create inclusive ways of working.
- Work is very valuable for people and a key part of their rehabilitation.
- Individuals are usually the experts on the effects of their disability and how they are impacted.
Resources linked to Workplace Adjustments
- More on DHM Episode #16: Disability History Month: The Disability Movement
- Consider for staff can get involved Episode #21 How staff networks Shape the culture
- My conversation with Richard Kramer Episode #88: Talking Sense for Deaf Awareness
- Inclusive design Episode #119: Universal Design and why it’s so important
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.