Welcome to the 230th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. We welcome the New Year with a series on heart and mind connection. I am speaking with Dr Magdalena Bak-Maier this week about healthy functioning with a heart and mind connection.
Listen to the episode
About my guest
Dr Magdalena Bak-Maier is a mental health and well-being expert, educator, neuroscientist and leading coach-therapist. Her unique heart, mind, body and spirit approach helps people navigate life, lead and heal by tapping into the full power of their nervous system.
Magdalena teaches minds to feel and hearts to think. She believes that talent is not in short supply, but healthy people are! Magdalena works to change this through 1:1 clinics, education and consultancy.
She is the creator of the Grid method for health, results and success. The crucial insight she made is that healthy people are good at balancing work, life, career and self-care, which we can all learn to do.
Grid supports mental health and well-being in students and adults and has been selected for sharing at the Columbia University Coaching Conference, Positive Psychology Congress as well as US National Public Radio and Guardian Masterclass series. Magdalena’s current work explores Grid’s use of ineffective habit change and burnout recovery.
Her most recent project is a 12-month goal-setting adventure designed to support people in recovering their agency and confidence through tangible results and a training module for Oxford University Press on healthy workplace cultures.
To take the Grid method into the world, Magdalena trains other coaches and managers in this powerful approach and offers Grid workshops and keynotes.
In today’s show on Healthy Functioning with a Heart and Mind Connection
- About Magdalena and what she’s currently working on [02:41]
- How she became an author and a changemaker. [03:19]
- What the term heart and mind connection means to her [05:20]
- Frameworks that help people connect heart and mind together. [08:43]
- Her top 3 mental health tips. [11:38]
Quotes on Healthy Functioning with a Heart and Mind Connection
- My road to authorship was partly aspirational and accidental.
- Listening to your heart is important.
- So often, we talk ourselves out of things using purely rational.
- Connection is all about team work and linking yourself to other people.
- Self -care is not just about sleep and good nutrition. It’s also about attending to your mind, heart, body and spirit.
Resources for Healthy Functioning with a Heart and Mind Connection
- Visit Dr Magdalena’s website
- Follow her on LinkedIn, LinkedIn MTC, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and Instagram MBM
- Listen to her TEDx Talk on Heart and Mind
- Listen to Episode #210: Writing and Mental Health
- Check out Episode #211: Creative Writing and Mental Health with Jim Hall
- Listen to Episode #212: The Power of Journaling with Greta Solomon
- Check out Episode #213: Ancestral Legacies and Writing with Jackee Holder
- Join my Mailing List and receive my free e-book here
- Check out my TEDx talk: The Connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.