Welcome to the 168th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month’s theme is all about nutrition and mental health. This week I am joined by Dr Amanda Adkins to talk about how nutrition impacts our health, both physical and mental.
Listen to the episode
About my guest
Dr. Amanda Adkins is a board-certified internal medicine physician, health coach/owner of Enlightenment Health and Wealth. She has a deep passion for ensuring that everyone has a chance at a healthy and happy life.
Her most recent focus has been to help women who are overweight prevent and possibly reverse chronic illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure. Both through her medical and personal experience she knows how our lifestyle can lead to remarkable changes in our health and our ability to fulfil God’s will for our lives.
She became interested in helping women prevent chronic disease because she was an overweight teenager who wanted better for her life than to feel defeated by weight. There is a lot of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer in my family. She knew if she didn’t change she would end up with some if not all these illnesses.
In today’s show on How Nutrition Impacts our Health
- What Dr Amanda Adkins’s current projects. [02:16]
- The connection between mental health and mental ill-health, culture and nutrition [06:41]
- The benefits of cooking and nutrition as a form of protection for our mental wellbeing. [09:11]
- The biggest challenge for the Black/Global Majority communities in accessing holistic support for both mental and physical health around nutrition. [16:52]
- Her top 3 tips for looking after her mental health. [23:17]
Quotes on How Nutrition Impacts our Health
- Fruits and vegetables have so many different nutrients and things in there that it helps with, all these other aspects of your body.
- I was an avid Coca-Cola drinker and that was my soothing thing because it tasted good in my mouth.
- The more you can take care of yourself, the more likely that you’re able to strive and thrive in your community.
- Everyone leans on each other, so please, seek out the help that you need.
- I’m learning how to take care of our mental health through meditation.
Connect to find out more on How Nutrition Impacts our Health
- Dr. Amanda on LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook
- Dr. Amanda‘s email and website
- Listen to Episode #166: The Connection between Nutrition and Mental Health
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.