Welcome to the 142nd episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month, as it’s Mental Health Awareness Week and this year’s theme is loneliness, we are going to be focussing on loneliness and the impact of mental health on various groups. Today I am talking about how racism creates mental-ill health.
Listen to the episode
On today’s show on how Racism Creates Mental-Ill Health
- Why I chose to cover this topic today. [01:12]
- .How experiencing racism can impact someone’s mental health. [07:20]
- Things that can happen in the workplace that can impact mental ill-health [14:41]
- What we can do to minimise racism and support colleagues with mental health challenges as a result of racism. [17:16]
- Some questions to reflect on how racism creates mental-ill health. [20:10]
Quotes on how Racism Creates Mental-Ill Health
- The National Health Service is England’s largest employer of global majority black and diaspora communities.
- Often when we try and talk about racism in the workplace, it is dismissed away.
- If you’re from a dominant culture, or from a dominant profile, you are not neutral. It’s just that things are set up easily, and things are set up to empower you.
- It’s key to remember that different cultures will have varying perspectives on mental ill-health.
Resources on How Racism Creates Mental-Ill Health
- Leave me an anonymous message on my Speakpipe
- Listen to Episode 41: Racism and Genuine Allyship
- Young Minds Blog: Racism and Mental Health
- Learn more in Episode 68: Still too scared to talk about race?
- Check out Episode 43: Windrush Day with Patrick Vernon
- Listen to Episode 97: The art of listening to support someone
- Black Minds Matter UK
- Black Thrive
- Muslim Youth Helpline
- Rainbow Noir
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.