Welcome to the 124th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month’s theme is mind-body connection, how our physical health supports our mental health and how our mental health supports our physical health.
So, in today’s episode, I talk about how to start conversations about mental health at work.
I focus on physical health and how it may help to open up the conversations about mental health. Enabling them to get the support they need.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show on how to start Conversations about Mental Health at Work
- Why I decided to make an episode on this topic. [00:53]
- Statistics about stress in the workplace from 2020. [03:39]
- How stress can manifest itself in our bodies. [04:40]
- Identifying emotional symptoms of stress. [06:24]
- How to have conversations with someone showing stress-related symptoms. [11:32]
Quotes on how to start Conversations about Mental Health at Work
- Stress is a very physical sensation.
- Unfortunately, stress is really seen as an integral part of day to day life. But the ongoing physical impacts are very significant indeed.
- Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension, resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances.
- Stress can be super helpful to enable us to perform or to meet deadlines and motivate us to do our best.
- Chronic stress can contribute significantly to physical problems such as heart disease, hypertension, high blood pressure, and bone density issues,
Resources connected to how to start Conversations about Mental Health at Work
- Learn more about active listening on episode #97: The art of listening to support someone
- How we glorify stress on episode #4: Do you wear stress as a badge of honour?
- Ways to manage stress on episode #62: Mindfulness and Managing Stress
- Podcast Episode #114: Identifying and Combatting Burnout
- Episode #02 Talking about suicide in the workplace
- Blog post: How to Handle Stressful Thoughts
- Blog post: How to address your stress
- Imperial College London Research: Depression linked to bowel conditions
- Hub of Hope website
Work with me
Join my mailing list where you will receive a copy of my e-Book The Mentally Healthy Leading Manager: https://bit.ly/MHLMEBK21
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.