Welcome to the 62nd episode of the Diverse Minds podcast. We are kicking November off talking about International Stress Awareness Week. In this episode I focus on mindfulness and managing stress. So, to join me in doing this I invited Mita Mistry to be a guest.
About my guest
Mita is a Columnist at the Eastern Eye newspaper writing pieces that tackle health, mental health and taboo subjects, especially in the South Asian Communities. As Literary Editor at the newspaper, she interviews authors and reviews books from a variety of genres.
Mita also reviews newspapers on radio and runs a practice in Leamington Spa where she uses Acupuncture and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy to help people from all walks of life.
During the pandemic, she has been conducting online therapy sessions and teaching Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy to users of the Adhar project in Leicester who are primarily domestic abuse survivors and those recovering from trauma, depression or anxiety. She delivers talks at hospitals, schools or workplaces and events.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show, we talk about:
- About my guest, Mita Mistry. [00:42]
- What stress means to her and how it impacted her life. [02:04]
- How she became a mindfulness CBT practitioner. [04:21]
- Why it’s easier for people to talk about stress than it is to talk about mental ill-health. [06:23]
- Some things workplaces can do to introduce mindfulness to manage stress. [16:18]
- Her top 3 tips for looking after her mental health. [20:44]
Quotes on Mindfulness and Managing Stress
- For me, stress is when I’m feeling overwhelmed, disconnected from myself, and generally not feeling my best or getting the best of life.
- Stress is very physical.
- Sleep is so underrated, but it makes a massive difference to our overall mental well being and general health as well.
- Workplaces could start meetings off with a short mindfulness practice.
- It’s really a good idea to understand your own sleep patterns.
Connect with my guest
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
Power Hour Sessions £150 1-2-1:https://calendly.com/leylao/60min
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations: https://calendly.com/leylao/60-min-wellbeing-strategy
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.