Welcome to the 40th episode of the Diverse Minds Podcast. For some of us things may be getting back to normal. However, if you are anything like me, you’re probably trying to process what’s been happening.
Negotiating Something Better
Many of us have been finding that we’ve been pedalling hard, but not really getting anywhere. Or not being recognised for the work that has been done during this difficult time.
So how do you have the conversation with your manager or boss about what you want? That could whether that’s a pay rise, to continue to work at home, or anything else.
I’m joined by two women who can definitely help you with negotiating something better. In this episode, I speak to Monica Mwanje and Michelle Gyimah.
Listen to the episode
About My Guests
Monica is the founder of MM Creative Solutions. She provides strategic business development consultancy for organisations seeking growth in nuclear and other regulated sectors. Monica has successfully worked with organisations of all sizes, from microbusinesses through to multinationals. She has worked in the nuclear sector since 2003 and she is a Chartered Chemical Engineer. Her experience of working in and with multi-disciplinary teams in both technical and business leadership roles, informs and underpins her approach. In 2019, Monica co-founded the not for profit initiative Diversity and Inclusion in UK Nuclear.
Michelle Gyimah is the Director of Equality Pays, a gender equality consultancy dedicated to closing workplace pay gaps. With UK gender pay gap reporting regulation in force, as well as a possible ethnicity pay gap reporting coming soon. It’s clear that workplace talent shortage looming, redressing inequalities in the workplace is more important than ever.
Michelle’s unique understanding of employee engagement and workplace challenges enables her to embed practical application into her consultancy. In addition to working with employers, Michelle is also a passionate advocate for enabling women to get equal pay and close their pay gaps. She does this by supporting their equal pay investigations and teaching women workplace negotiation skills to allow them to get more of what they want.
Michelle has over 10 years’ experience of working at the Equality and Human Rights Commission and holds a Masters in Human Rights from The University of Manchester. Michelle is a regular contributor to numerous national business magazines, international conferences and lives in Spain.
In today’s show, we talk about:
- About our Monica and Michelle and what they do? [03:17]
- Some key lessons they’ve learned on their leadership journey including negotiating something better [09:26]
- How workplaces can navigate equity, equality and fairness whilst working remotely. [17:09]
- Three tips to help Black women negotiate better and get what is theirs. [31:57]
Connect with my guests
- You can find more about Michelle on her website and on LinkedIn
- You can connect with Monica on LinkedIn, Twitter
- MM Creative Solutions on Twitter, LinkedIn and the website.
Quotes that related to negotiating something better
- We are all leaders in our own right.
- Anything that you can bring to the table is of value to somebody, and somebody somewhere will appreciate what it is that you’re doing.
- Be very clear and honest with yourself about what it is that you bring to the table.
- You learn on a leadership journey, and you learn a lot about others and about yourself and you continue to learn as you go along.
- It’s actually okay to be a little bit vulnerable as a leader, and that it’s okay to be considerate of other people.
Work with me
Have a workplace challenge you want to work through?
60 minutes for Organisations and Wellbeing £120 (incl VAT)
This video call is for anyone responsible for wellbeing and employee engagement in their organisation. Maybe you need an expert to bounce ideas off or a sense of what other organisations have done that works.
This video call will enable you to:
- Generate practical and easy ideas for mental health, diversity and inclusion projects/programmes you may be working on.
- Learn how to obtain optimum buy-in for your work and projects.
- Manage your stakeholders for maximum support.
- Communicate your vision with impact on your wider team and organisation.
- Think about what’s most important to you right now to achieve your goals.
Book your slot here: https://calendly.com/leylao/60-min-wellbeing-strategy
Join my newsletter and get my e-book the Mentally Healthy Leading Manager for free here
Discover more about Diverse Minds.
Subscribe to the podcast
Remember to tune in to next week’s episode, where I’ll bring you more insights into mental health and inclusion.