Welcome to the 86th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. In today’s episode, I talk about ways reading benefits your mental health for World Book Night.
World Book Night is the annual celebration of books and reading that takes place on the 23rd of April. The idea is to bring people from all backgrounds together for one reason – to inspire others to read more.
Presented by The Reading Agency, and in partnership with Specsavers, 2021 is a celebration of the 10th anniversary of World Book Night, with a special theme of “Books to Make You Smile”. We all ned that right now, don’t we?
Listen to the episode
In today’s show on how reading benefits your mental health
- About World Book Night and World Book Day, and why they are celebrated. [00:49]
- Defining reading in the broadest sense. [02:19]
- How reading can feel like an indulgence in today’s world. [02:51]
- 5 ways reading can help improve our mental health. [03:46]
- Some testimonials about the benefits of reading from my book group. [11:45]
Quotes on how reading benefits your mental health
- Reading for pleasure is the single biggest indicator of a child’s future success more than their family circumstances, their parent’s educational background or their income.
- I find that if I read before bed, I can fall asleep much more quickly.
- I love reading and I’ve been an avid reader since I was a child.
- Reading for as little as six minutes a day can reduce stress levels by 60%.
- People who read and solve problems every day maintain and improve their cognitive functioning.
Resources to enable reading to benefit your mental health
- World Book Night
- Reading Well Books on Prescription
- ReLit Foundation
- Research Paper Cognitive bibliotherapy for mild depressive symptomatology
- The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.