Welcome to the 128th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month’s theme is all about giving and sharing. So, in today’s episode, I’m going to be talking about reciprocity in a mentoring relationship, particularly reciprocal mentoring relationships.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show about Reciprocity in a mentoring relationship
- Setting the context for mentoring and how it’s gained popularity over the years. [00:47]
- Key differences between mentoring, coaching and sponsorships and what they have in common. [01:14]
- The specific benefits of a reciprocal mentoring programme. [05:49]
- A number of mentoring techniques to consider for your programme [15:56]
Quotes on Reciprocity in a mentoring relationship
- Mentoring could take place in a formal or informal way, inside of the workplace outside of the workplace.
- A mentor could be anyone in any position with experience desired by a mentee who can offer advice and support.
- Coaching centres on asking powerful questions to enable coachees to discover the answers themselves.
- A sponsor is a senior staff member invested in their protegees career success.
- Mentoring doesn’t just have to be a conversation. It can include tools and techniques to help a mentee move in the right direction.
Resources related to Reciprocity in a mentoring relationship
- Podcast Episode #97: The art of listening to support someone
- City University’s Race Reciprocal Mentoring Programme
- LJMU’s Reciprocal Mentoring Programme involving BAME Staff, Black Students and Senior Leaders
- Place2Be’s Race Reciprocal Mentoring Journey
Work with me
Join my mailing list where you will receive a copy of my e-Book The Mentally Healthy Leading Manager: https://bit.ly/MHLMEBK21
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.