Welcome to the 215th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. It’s Black History Month, a momentous occasion to recognise and celebrate the invaluable contributions of Black people to British society. This year, we will be celebrating the exceptional achievements of Black women, and joining me on this episode is Abi Osho to talk about Reconnect Retreats.
Listen to the episode
About my guest
Abi Osho is the founder of Soul Melanin Ltd. She is a leadership coach, author, speaker, and retreat creator. Abi came from humble beginnings, and she made a decision to change her life in order to heal herself and help other people heal from their own childhood trauma.
Abi believes that when we are empowered to change our own story from one of self-doubt to unwavering self-belief, this has a ripple effect that will further help other women connect back to their own inner place of personal power.
As a holistic leadership coach, Abi supports Black and brown female leaders to reconnect with who they are becoming, cultivating a deeper level of embodiment for expansive leadership within.
Abi also creates nature-based retreats for women of colour in the UK (as featured in The Guardian January 2023) and in Africa, she is a keen advocate of holistic health and wellbeing,
Abi travels solo throughout the continent of Africa, meeting with indigenous communities, whilst sourcing the purest holistic indigenous African oils.
In today’s show on Reconnect Retreats
- About Abi and what she’s currently working on. [02:50]
- What the term “mental wellbeing” means to her. [10:02]
- The biggest challenge for Black women in the UK in getting support for their wellbeing. [14:24]
- What workplaces can do to stop playing into the stereotypes [23:20]
- Her top three mental health tips [27:32]
Quotes on Reconnect Retreats
- The travel industry is worth $4.8 billion a year, but Black women are not very visible in this industry.
- Mindful wellbeing is about being aware of what you’re saying to yourself.
- We’re trained a lot in the “how we want to be”, but not enough in the “who we want to be”.
- There are allies and non-allies in every workplace.
- I think it’s important to listen to people’s language.
Resources on Reconnect Retreats
- Connect with Abi on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and Instagram
- Visit her website
- Book a place on Abi’s 2-day Limitless Programme
- The Guardian Article about Abi’s work
- Black African and Asian Therapy Network
- Join my Mailing List and receive my free e-book here
- Check out my TEDx talk: The Connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.