This episode of the Diverse Minds Podcast, I talk about social media and the impact it has on our mental health and wellbeing.
I decided to talk about this topic because Sunday 5th of September was the first Digital Detox Day. Created in collaboration between #IAMWHOLE, an organisation co-founded by Jordan Stephens of Rizzle Kicks, beauty blogger Zoella and the cosmetics brand Lush.
The aim of Digital Detox Day is about raising awareness around the negative impacts that social media can have on our mental health. It is also about enabling and helping people to form healthier relationships with their devices.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show, on Social Media and Mental Health:
- About Digital Detox Day. [00:44]
- Statistics related to UK social media usage. [02:58]
- The impact of social media on our health. [06:14]
- Eight things you can do to reduce the negative impact of social media on your mental health. [07:29]
- Why it’s vital for workplaces to think about the impact of social media on their staff. [11:55]
Resources on Social Media and Mental Health
- Digital Detox Day
- Lush Digital Detox Day
- Imperial College Study:
- BBC: UK Internet usage soars
- MHFA’s toolkit: HandsUpforMentalHealth
- Royal Society of Public Health #StatusofMind Report
- Podcast: Why and How to Talk about Suicide at Work
- We may be able to stay away from our phones for a day, but the fact that many of us need our phones to communicate, commute or work, means that doing this is likely to be very short-lived.
- The Royal Society of Public Health found that social media is more addictive than smoking and alcohol.
- Using social media for more than 2 hours per day is associated with poor self-rating of mental health, increased levels of psychological distress and also suicidal ideation.
- Overusing social media does impact adversely on self-esteem, confidence and perfectionist tendencies.
- Comparison is the thief of joy – Theodore Roosevelt
Work with me
Want to know more about my work and how I can help you? Why not book a time to speak with me and find out more?
You can learn more about the coaching I do here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in to next week’s episode, where we will be talking about how creating a routine helps your self-care.