Welcome to the 68th episode of the Diverse Minds Podcast, and on today’s episode, I talk about how race conversations at work are stalling. I ask the question, are you still too scared to talk about race? If so, then this is the episode for you!
Listen to the show
In today’s show, I talk about:
- Why we need to talk about race inequalities and systemic injustice at work. [01:17]
- Scenarios that stop people from talking about race at work. [01:40]
- Some things to consider before beginning conversations about race at work. [03:36]
- What microaggressions are and some examples of them. [10:44]
- How to have productive conversations about race at work. [13:25]
Quotes on still too scared to talk about race:
- If we don’t talk about the subject of race inequalities, and systemic injustice, things will just persist and not magically go away.
- Talking about race isn’t simply a case of asking nosy questions, or starting a conversation out of context.
- We have to talk about race because of the system that was created due to colonialism, forced movement of people, a hierarchy and the medicalisation of black bodies, and the lies that were told about what people could or couldn’t do based on their skin colour.
- If you really want to talk about race, one of the first things is to think about microaggressions.
- We need to not make people divulge information or things that have made them feel very upset.
Other podcasts/resources related to this episode:
- To BAME or not to BAME?
- Why Training isn’t a Panacea
- Racism and Genuine Allyship
- Anti-bullying initiatives that work
- How culture and leadership combine.
- Training Form to help you plan what would be useful to you
- Video: Why Microaggressions are like Mosquito Bites
Work with me if you are Still too Scared to Talk about Race
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1:https://calendly.com/leylao/60min
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations: https://calendly.com/leylao/60-min-wellbeing-strategy
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.