|Welcome to the 110th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. It’s Black History Month, one of my times of the year. So, this month, I’m dedicating the podcast to valuing the variety of Black experiences and how to have aBlack History Month 365 approach.|
In today’s episode, I’m going to be talking about tackling anti-Blackness in South Asian communities.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show on Tackling Anti-Blackness
- Why I decided to make an episode on this topic. [00:52]
- A definition of anti-Blackness. [01:27]
- An overview of UK history of solidarity between Black and South Asian communities. [03:03]
- Examples of anti-Black discrimination in the South Asian community. [08:04]
- Practical takeaways you can implement to shift the culture of anti-Blackness in South Asian communities. [10:21]
Quotes on Tackling Anti-Blackness
- As long as Black and South Asian people have been in Britain, there has been some sort of united anti-racist activism.
- We often talk about white privilege and what white privilege means, but we can also have global majority privilege. This won’t necessarily equal white privilege, but needs to be recognised.
- Those class elements based on wealth, religion, and status have been decided and shaped by colonialism.
- I think there is often a willingness to turn a blind eye towards anti-blackness.
- There is a lot of aligning with the dominant culture, and unfortunately, we see that a lot with politics today.
- In the words of Audre Lorde: Your silence will not protect you.
Resources on Tackling Anti-Blackness in South Asian Communities
- Rejecting political Blackness isn’t an excuse to erase solidarity between South Asian and Black communities.
- Southall Black Sisters a not-for-profit, secular and inclusive organisation, was established in 1979 to meet the needs of Black (Asian and African-Caribbean) women.
- The Brown Hijabi’s Resource List for South Asian Communities
- South Asian anti-black racism: ‘We don’t marry black people’
- India Meets Ghana on YouTube
- Kamala Auntie’ prompts examination of anti-Blackness for South Asians
- OPINION | South Asians have been complicit in anti-Blackness for too long
- British South Asians Speak Out About Anti-Black Racism Within Their Communities
- Episode #103: The damaging impacts of colourism and shadism
Work with me
If you enjoyed the content why not subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/MHLMEBKLNK
My coaching solutions can be accessed here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.