Welcome to the 203rd episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. In this episode, we continue our focus on South Asian Heritage Month, a time to celebrate the diverse stories that shape the South Asian community.
This year’s theme is “Tell Your Story”, and it encourages individuals to share their personal journeys and the pivotal moments that have shaped their identities.
Listen to the episode on What kind of South Asian are you
In today’s show on What kind of South Asian are you
- About my TEDx talk and booking me as a speaker. [01:43]
- About the month and this year’s theme. [02.39]
- Why we should care about the month. [03:45]
- How South Asian groups can often be pitted against each other [08:42]
- What you can do to take a step back and not jump in with assumptions. [12:49]
- South Asian Heritage Month is about stereotypes, true race equity and understanding nuances.
- Whether you express yourself through art, writing, music, fashion or food, there are so many ways to share experiences and celebrate your heritage that go beyond lots of stereotypes.
- We know that Black History Month is really essential. We know that Women’s History Month is really essential. We know that LGBTQI+ History Month is really essential. And of course, South Asian Heritage Month is no different.
- The issue is that the global north love to lump us all together and also not understanding that a lot of the differences or the clashes that we see now in modern-day India are a result of colonialism and what I like to call the colonial hangover.
- We all love to eat samosas. But seriously, if you’re going to do events in your workplace, they need to go much, much deeper than this.
- South Asian History Month Website and Twitter
- The Partition Group on Twitter
- Indian Summer
- Brown, Desi, South Asian: Diaspora reflects on the terms that represent, erase them
- Stop calling all South Asian people ‘Indian’
- Listen to Episode #50: Why You Need To Stop Stereotyping Asian Women
- Join my Mailing List and receive my free e-Book here
- Check out my TEDx talk: The Connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.