|Welcome to the 108th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. In today’s episode, I am going to be talking about cultural appropriation, what it is, why it’s a no-no, the facets and ways to minimise this.|
Listen to the episode
In today’s show on What’s the big deal with Cultural Appropriation
- What inspired this episode. [00:43]
- My definition of this term based on research I carried out. [00:54]
- The difference cultural appropriation and cultural assimilation. [02:10]
- Example of how it’s commonplace and a part of celebrity culture. [03:32]
- What you can do to help minimise behaving in this way [06:06]
Quotes on Cultural Appropriation
- Racism, homophobia, transphobia, misogyny, ableism, are all forms of oppression.
- The key thing is that oppressed or marginalised groups don’t always have the power to decide whether they want to participate in dominant cultural norms.
- Cultural appropriation seems to give the dominant group credit for aspects of a culture they’ve taken as well.
- I would say, if you love another culture, then learn more about it and understand the context and history.
- We can respect the identity and move away from using unhelpful terms like ethnic.
Resources to support your understanding of Cultural Appropriation
- What’s Wrong with Cultural Appropriation? These 9 Answers Reveal Its Harm
- 5 Things You Don’t Realize When You Defend Cultural Appropriation
- 5 Liberating Ways to Practice Yoga Without Giving Into the Industry’s Neo-Colonialism
- Nisi Shawl’s Work
Work with me
If you enjoyed the content why not subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/MHLMEBKLNK
My coaching solutions can be accessed here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.