Welcome to the 79th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds Podcast. I’m so excited as we’ve hit March. because this month we’re focusing on female entrepreneurs for International Women’s Month, showcasing the talents and the businesses of a diverse range of women I know.
To kick off the month, we are talking about neurodivergent support in the workplace, and joining me on the show to do so is a dear friend and former colleague, Janette Beetham.
Listen to the episode
About My Guest
Janette Beetham is the founder and Director of Right Resources Limited, a boutique consultancy and training organisation.
Right Resources specialises in neurodivergent support. Primarily dyslexia, as well as other commonly co-occurring neurodivergent conditions from a business/workplace perspective. Run on social enterprise principles, Janette strives to provide the highest standard to clients across their range of support services and training.
Services include individual support such as screening, workplace needs assessments, and specialist one-to-one coaching. As well as bespoke training, consultancy, and a range of accredited training options.
Janette has worked numerous types of organisations, ranging from prisons to palaces. She says her experience as a business adviser and business counsellor have provided an invaluable foundation for her neurodiversity-related work.
She is the creator of Dyslexia Champions™, Neuro-inclusive Practice™ and Neurodiversity Aware® training accreditation programmes. Graduates of these courses are guiding and supporting colleagues in organisations of all descriptions including Police, NHS Trusts, Trade Unions, University staff and corporates.
Janette is dyslexic/neurodivergent herself.
In today’s show about Neurodivergent Support
- About Janette and what she does [02:43]
- How she became a dyslexia and neurodivergent specialist. [04:33]
- The difference between neurodiversity and neurodivergence. [09:32]
- How to spot the signs of neurodivergent conditions in the workplace. [11:20]
- Her top 3 tips for looking after her mental health [30:36]
Quotes on Neurodivergent Support
- Neurodiversity really means the range of differences in the individual brain function and behavioural traits.
- I’m a great fan of jigsaw puzzles.
- We need to make it safe to talk in the workplace.
- We cover the other neurodivergent conditions because overlap is the rule rather than the exception.
- Please, don’t struggle in silence.
Other Resources on Neurodivergent Support
- Paper Workplace Dyslexia & Specific Learning Difficulties—Productivity, Engagement and Well-Being by Janette Beetham and Leyla Okhai
- Neurodiversity, Race and Culture with Jannett Morgan
Connect with my guest
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.