|Welcome to the 98th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast! In today’s episode, I am going to be talking about what have emojis got to do with equality and diversity. An unusual and niche topic you may think, but during my research I discovered there is so much to emojis. I learned emojis have everything to do with equality and diversity!
Listen to the episode
In today’s show about what have emojis got to do with equality and diversity
- Why I decided to make an episode about what have emojis got to do with equality and diversity? [00:46]
- The history of emojis from Japan to the West and around the world. [01:21]
- How emojis play a part in unconscious and implicit bias in society. [03:22]
- Why using an emoji of a darker skin tone than your own is a no-no [07:32]
- The story of the blood drop emoji and the pushback. [08:39]
- Ways we make emojis more inclusive and use emojis in the best way. [11:37]
- How we can ensure our emoji use is equitable [14:10]
Quotes on what have emojis got to do with equality and diversity
- The purpose of World Emoji Day is to promote the use of emojis and spread the enjoyment that they bring to all those around us.
- Emojis themselves were initially created in Japan as a form of communication to add an emotional nuance to plain text.
- Supposedly emoji is the fastest growing language.
- Language is important and emojis form part of language right now with over 92% of online users using them.
- When we talk about unconscious and implicit bias, emojis play a part in this, as emojis make up part of our language.
Resources on what have emojis got to do with equality and diversity
- A Quick Guide To Inclusive Emoji Use
- Website www.emojination.org
- Blog post: 7 ways Inclusive Language creates belonging at work
- Podcast #37: Why bother with Inclusive Language?
Work with me
If you enjoyed the content why not subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMSYNR
My coaching solutions can be accessed here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.