My TEDx Talk about The Connection Between Culture, Race and Mental Health
My TEDxWolverhampton Talk: The Connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health at Work is now live! It’s only 12mins and 55 secs, so something you can fit into a break. If it resonates with you, please comment positively and share.
Here are some of the lessons I have learned from the TEDx experience.
The journey to talking about the Connection Between Culture, Race and Mental Health
1. Being accepted as a TEDx speaker is a huge adrenalin rush- it does feel amazing!
2. Then the real work begins. How do I craft my key messages on the connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health in 12 minutes to create connection and impact? It wasn’t always smooth sailing
3. Once this is finalised there is learning the talk. A big challenge especially when your student drama days are well and truly behind you. Taking it a step at a time, and highlighting those key words help.
4. Rehearsing in front of a mirror and listening to your talk on repeat is boring! Thanks to Minnie von Mallinckrodt-Grant for being a critical friend and helping me craft the talk so it was as good as possible.
The Lead up and on the Day
5. Trying not to cry- a huge hurdle for me. My fellow speakers know I did not succeed with this at the first rehearsal. I felt very annoyed with myself! Deep breathing helped this one and I held it together on the day.
6. My fellow speakers were hugely supportive. We were there to help each other up. The biggest highlight for me. Please do check out their TEDx Talks too!
7. The TEDx Wolverhampton team is phenomenal. Volunteer Anju Dhir gave me the lanyard from her neck when there were none. Sums up the positive and caring attitude of all. Clare Roberts-Molloy JP, Zoe Mason, Anil Chahal and Martin Khechara provided such helpful feedback to enable us to shine.
Absolutely worth it, but what a journey. If you are thinking about delivering a TEDx talk go for it, but do prepare yourself for an emotional rollercoaster!
Working with Diverse Minds
Book me as a speaker for a keynote talk in your organisation.
If you would like help and support to shift things in your organisation find out more about training here.
If you would like support with your career journey and wellbeing, find out more about the coaching I offer and options here.