In this week’s podcast, Leyla speaks to Harvey Kennedy-Pitt about public health about LGBTQ+ Black health experiences.
Listen to the episode
About my guest
Harvey Kennedy-Pitt (he/him) is an internationally educated scientist, educator, lecturer, integrated public health education and promotion practitioner, and academic. As a public health leader, Harvey’s public health interests include addressing health disparities across communities of colour, particularly among those with racially and sexually minoritised identities.
In his role as CEO of Black Beetle Health, Harvey implements innovative public health approaches to community engagement, academic research, social wealth development, collective empowerment, and capacity building in order to tackle long-standing health disparities for LGBTQ+ Black and People of Colour. He also founded Unstukk which helps stagnant professionals build capacity through adaptation, using public health principles.
In today’s show LGBTQ+ Black Health Experiences
- What Harvey is working on right now [02:09]
- The biggest challenges he sees when it comes to public health for the LGBTQ+ community. [06:13]
- What workplaces can do to create equity. [08:56]
- Some challenges people in the LGBTQ+ community face when they seek help [11:13]
- His top 3 tips for looking after his mental health [21:34]
Quotes on LGBTQ+ Black Health Experiences
- Sometimes, we end up choosing systems first and then forgetting that people make up those systems.
- We’re institutionalised to think that we are the helpers and that we’re helping those that need help. When, actually, we oftentimes need the help ourselves.
- Take some time to do some reflective practice regularly.
- Follow the advice you give other people!
- When I take my own advice, I find that I’m in the best form of myself.
Resources on LGBTQ+ Black Health Experiences
- Check out my TEDx talk: The Connection between Culture, Race and Mental Health
- Unstukk Consultancy website, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Black Beetle Health website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Join my Mailing List and receive my free e-Book: bit.ly/MHLMEBK21
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.