Welcome to the 165th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. It’s the final episode for Black History Month 2022, and I am excited to say we are focussing on activism and activism through community radio.
To join me in speaking more about this is Ken Orlukwu. The co-founder of an Independent Community Radio Station called WetinDey Radio.
Listen to the episode
About my guest
WetinDey Radio is an online global radio station streaming LIVE 24X7, providing the best in mainstream Afro-Urban music, entertainment, interactive talk shows, breaking news, lifestyle and culture programmes. Founded in 2020 by a dedicated team passionate about promoting the rich African & Caribbean heritage worldwide.
The term ‘WetinDey’ (pronounced waiting day ) is a popular West-African word which simply means: what’s happening?
The management team have a vast wealth of experience spanning over 15 years in the media industry ranging from broadcasting, podcasting, music production, sound engineering, content production, events consultancy, artist management, business development and training.
Our mission is to bring to your listening pleasure, unique and uninterrupted worldwide entertainment, including real-life content that affects our lifestyle and community.
In today’s show on Community Activism Radio
- About Ken and what he’s currently working on. [02:01]
- How he set up WetinDey Radio including the costs. [03:50]
- What the word activism means to him. [08:03]
- The positive impacts of community radio station to promote mental health [10:02]
- His top 3 tips for looking after his mental health. [20:21]
Quotes on Community Activism Radio
- Africa is one, regardless of all the boundaries.
- You have to look after yourself to be able to look after people.
- Sometimes, I detox from my mobile phone.
- I’m very passionate about what I do, from my professional life to my community.
- Our presenters don’t have to come from a media background, but the first thing we want is that passion.
Find out more about Community Activism Radio
- WetinDay Radio on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Community Radio Stations on Radio Garden
- Check out Episode #134 Recognising the needs of Carers with Anita Powell which also talks about community radio.
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.