Welcome to the 107th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. In today’s episode, I am reviewing the book Culture Map by Erin Meyers, published in 2014. I thought this was a great book to review for the topic for this month which is culture.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show about the book Culture Map
- What inspired this episode. [00:40]
- About the book Culture Map by Erin Meyers. [01:49]
- What I find very helpful about this book. [02:46]
- 8 really important and key aspects of culture that were covered in this book. [03:49]
- An anecdote from the book about the difference between Nigerian and German culture in relation to timekeeping. [10:44]
Quotes related to the Culture Map
- In the words of Dr Nathalie van Meurs: “There’s no such thing as Greenwich Mean Time culture.”
- It can be much easier to talk about culture than race.
- In order to understand what someone else’s norm is, we have to understand our own.
- The sad truth is that the vast majority of managers who conduct business internationally, have little understanding about how the culture is impacting their work.
- We all have a responsibility to know and understand cultural context, to be able to open up a conversation and not lay on unhelpful stereotypes.
Resources mentioned in this episode about the Culture Map
- Episode #47: How Culture and Leadership Combine
- Episode #106: Cross-Cultural Understanding at Work
- Read the book: Culture Map by Erin Meyers
- Access the The Country Culture Mapping Tool
- Erin’s Article in HBR: Navigating the Cultural Minefield
- GLOBE 2020 Project
Work with me
If you enjoyed the content why not subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/MHLMEBKLNK
My coaching solutions can be accessed here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.