Welcome to the 119th episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month is Disability History Month 2021! So, to keep with this theme, on today’s episode, I am going to talk about universal design and why it’s so important.
Listen to the episode
Read the full transcript here
In today’s show on Universal Design
- Why I decided to make make an episode on this topic. [00:44]
- What universal design is all about. [00:49]
- Some examples of bad designs. [01:56]
- Seven principles of inclusivity and accessibility in design. [06:15]
- What you can do to create the right environment in the workplace. [11:39]
Quotes on Universal Design
- Access and accessibility is a key part of equalising society and the playing field.
- Good design will always have usability as the front and centre, so that services and environments will meet those people’s needs.
- No two people are necessarily the same, and have exactly the same ability.
- Thinking about how your meeting space is configured is vital to a positive workplace.
- This extends beyond a design trend.
Resources to support Universal Design
- Universal Design Ireland and The 7 Principles
- Morgan Lovell Tips for Offices
- Employment Autism
- How Do We Design Workplaces For Inclusivity And Diversity
- 10 things to know about Universal Design.
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.