Welcome to the 103rd episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. In today’s episode, I am going to be talking about colourism and shadism, what it is, why we need to be aware of it and why it’s super important to challenge it.
Listen to the episode
In today’s show about colourism and shadism
- What is the definition of colourism? [00:43]
- The foundations of colorism in India and South Asia. [01:59]
- How the arrival of the British intensified colourism in India. [03:12]
- The effects of colorism on women of colour and how it devalues feminine currency. [07:22]
- What we can do about colourism, especially in the workplace. [13:45]
Quotes on colourism and shadism
- Colourism is a form of discrimination that favours light skinned members of a particular ethnic group.
- This form of racial discrimination dates back to slavery, colonialism, occupation. It has been systemically pass on colourism and shadismed down through the years.
- Colourism ultimately attained its full ugly power with the advent of colonialism by the British, when they arrived in India in 1608, and ruled over Indian soil for over three centuries.
- Colourism and shadism do exist for men too, but there seems to be more of an impact on women due to beauty standards and the way in which women are always scrutinised more.
- In ancient India, throughout the early medieval period, black did not denote a blemish.
Further resources on colourism and shadism
- Far From Fairness: Prejudice, Skin Color, and Psychological Functioning in Asian Americans
- Mental Health Effects of Colorism in the Black Communities
- The Impact of Colorism on the Career Aspirations and Career Opportunities of Women in India
- Dark is Beautiful India
- Her Culture: Not Fair, Still Lovely Navigating Colourism As An Indian Woman
- Check out Podcast Episode 49: Celebrating the First South Asian History Month
- Listen to Podcast Episode 98: What have emojis got to do with equality and diversity?
- Understand more with Podcast Episode 37: Why bother with Inclusive Language?
- Know how to support with Podcast Episode 97: The art of listening to support someone
Work with me
If you enjoyed the content why not subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/MHLMEBKLNK
My coaching solutions can be accessed here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.