Welcome to the 143rd episode of the award-winning Diverse Minds podcast. This month, as it’s Mental Health Awareness Week and this year’s theme is loneliness, we are going to be focussing on loneliness and the impact of mental health on various groups.
Today, I am talking about why it can be so difficult for people to accept help when they are diagnosed with mental health challenges or are just feeling low.
Listen to the episode
On today’s show on why won’t they accept help?
- Why I chose to cover this topic today. [01:09]
- Factors that prevent people from seeking help. [02:26]
- A look into the Karpman Drama Triangle [06:01]
- About the Emotion, Reality and Responsibility model. [16:34]
- What we can do to encourage people to seek help. [17:16]
Quotes on why won’t they accept help?
- No family sits down and says, right, what’s our communications policy? Or what’s the health and safety policy in our home.
- Just like with physical health, when we want to train or do something in the gym, we generally don’t go from being a beginner runner to being an elite athlete.
- If we’re trying to support someone, or feel frustrated with them, we have to really be mindful of what are we feeling first.
- When emotions are high, you want to check the reality and move the person to responsibility.
- The person who is in that victim mode feels overwhelmed by their sense of vulnerability, inadequacy or powerlessness.
Resources connected why won’t they accept help?
- Leave me an anonymous message on my Speakpipe
- What is Emotional Intelligence?
- Learn more in Episode 63 with Chloe Gough: Anti-bullying initiatives that work
- The Karpman Drama Triangle and how to escape it
- Malan’s Triangles
- Listen to Episode 97: The art of listening to support someone
- Wheel of Wellbeing
Work with me
Have a look at my online work-life balance course on Thinkific. You can access it here: http://bit.ly/DMMHPONC
One hour focused Sessions £150 1-2-1
Power Hour Sessions for Organisations
Complete the form to discuss your training needs: https://forms.gle/hgnYtmTu33Zeem489
Check out my FAQs here: https://diverseminds.co.uk/solutions/coaching/
You can learn more about the coaching I do to support your wellbeing here.
Subscribe to the podcast
If you enjoyed it, why not leave a review?
Remember to tune in next week, where I’ll bring you more insights on mental health and inclusion.